Thursday, September 11, 2008

Power

This past Saturday/Sunday, I realized an important thing about our modern world. As remnants of hurricane/tropical storm Hanna made its way through Pennsylvania, we saw lots of wind and several fallen trees. And, unfortunately, one of those fallen trees happened to crush one of the power lines on my street - destroying our transformer, and leaving us without power for 22 hours.

The first few hours were okay - it was still dayish. I settled down to do my homework, figuring that I could get it out of the way without procrastinating. Plus, we had no idea when we would get power back, but we guessed that it would be soon. Obviously, we were wrong... As the night progressed and we ate cold pizza by candlelight, I began to realize just how much we rely on power for everything. The hours passed along and I was feeling more and more desparate for some good ol' technology. Some TV, some computer, some light... it was painful - but also pathetic. Less than a day with only a few flash lights, candles and a bit of family bonding, and I was going crazy! I really wanted to plug in my cell phone, turn on the computer, and watch some tv, but I couldn't. How shallow is that? We rely so much on electricity; it's scary. I am quite guilty of becoming attached to technology, and I really don't like the thought of it. It makes me wonder what this world is coming to. It was quite an experience.

No comments: